On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:12:38 +0200, Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

LostSon wrote:

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 20:44 +0200, Richard Fish wrote:

LostSon wrote:

Hello I am trying to get fbsplash to work and am stuck. I have followed the
directions on the gentoo-wiki site but still no luck. Im using vesafb
with a 2.6.12-r6 kernel. my grub.conf looks like this title=Gentoo-2.6.12-r6-fbsplash
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage.new25 root=/dev/hda3
video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr,[EMAIL PROTECTED] spla$
initrd (hd0,0)/fbsplash-gentoo-1024x768

make sure nano didnt cut your kernel line. The video= option should be on the same line than the kernel one. It should look like:

title=Gentoo-2.6.12-r6-fbsplash
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage.new25 root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr,[EMAIL PROTECTED] splash=... #(one line)
initrd (hd0,0)/fbsplash-gentoo-1024x768

This is very annoying, but while editing a line larger than the console, nano cut it into two lines :( You have to check every time, go to the end of the first part of the cuted line and press delete

charly

Um, is fbsplash-gentoo-1024x768 in the /boot directory? Is your root filesystem /dev/hda1?

If the answer to both is yes, then the initrd line should say:

initrd (hd0,0)/boot/fbsplash-gentoo-1024x768

-Richard

OK I have tried this as well and still no luck i just keep getting an
error about Cant open config file in /etc/splash/emergence or /gentoo
depending o which splash i use. There is more stuff about /dev/fb0
or /dev/fd0 i cant seem to find these messages in any of my log files
though.

Does your kernel configuration include both RAM disk and Initial RAM disk support (under Device Drivers->Block Devices)? Both are required for loading the initramfs through the initrd memory protocol.

-Richard