>Von: nor...@smash-net.org
>Datum: 04.04.2010 11:37
>An: <gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org>
>Betreff: Re: [gentoo-user]
Checking sanity of system...

>Am 04.04.2010 07:18, schrieb meino.cra...@gmx.de:
>> Hi,
>>
>> this is no security
issue in sense of attacks...it is related
>> to the consistency of the system.
>>
>> Simple question (and may be
complicate to answer... ;) )

>> How can I check, that my Gentoo system is uptodate, consistent
>> and sane?

Best regards,
>> mcc
>>

>Hi,
>
>Every Update:
>emerge --sync && emerge -uDN world
>--> Read the
Packagemessages for Instructions.
>etc-update    # Merge new Configfiles
>revdep-rebuild    # Identify broken libraries

>From time to time:
>emerge --deplcean (-p) && revdep-rebuild    # Delete old packages and
>sort out the resulting
broken packages
>eclean distfiles    # Delete the old source-packages in your distfile repo.
>
>Regards,
>Norman

and aditionally from time to time:

eix -u
(packages  which  have  at least one slotted version installed which is not
the best version within that slot)

and

eix-test-obsolete -d
(display missing packages or packages with obsolete
entries in /etc/portage/package.* )

Check for viruses, lookout for SMART data, and filesystem inconsistencies,
check
temperatures, check log files, listen to fans... there are many levels where a
system could fail.

Urs