On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 20:36:37 +0200, Damian wrote:

> The reason for doing so is that what is considered as unstable as been
> regarded as stable releases for the developers, and the truth is that
> the problems I got for using outdated software were more that the ones I
> had for using unstable versions.

That's because what you describe as unstable has nothing to do with
stability of the software. ~arch is testing ebuilds, they are unstable in
that they change more often, but as you say, the upstream software is
considered fit for use.

> Thus, I'm thinking about switching all of my system to the unstable
> branch. But first I want to be sure that this is reasonable given the
> problems I described before.
>
> Can you provide me some useful advice according to your experience?

Switching to testing is as easy as changing ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in make.conf
and doing emerge -uaDN @world. Switching back is less easy, but if this
is what you want to do, then go for it. I have run testing for years,
with far less problems than some people running mixed arch systems.

--
Neil Bothwick

CPU: (n.) acronym for Central Purging Unit. A device which discards or
distorts data sent to it, sometimes returning more data and sometimes
merely over-heating.