> I am however documenting my experiences for others than come after me
> to this question of "to ~amd64 or not ~amd64". Nothing more. It worked
> for Alan who is a __very__ experienced and capable person. It didn't
> work for Mark (at this point) who is a 10 year Gentoo user but
> __nothing__ more than a user type Those people can decide who they are
> closer to in capabilities and make their choice a bit more informed.
>
> I didn't wake up this morning thinking I could do what you and Neil
> and others on this list can with this distro. I'm not that silly! I
> just wanted to try ~amd64 to see what happened. It will take me less
> than 90 minutes to get to a new clean install if I blow everything
> away and start over. It's not a big deal.
>
> - Mark

Is there a reason why you want to run all @system as ~amd64, and the
rest stable.  To me it makes more sense (especially for production
systems) to run @system as stable and only ~amd64 those apps and
dependencies you want/need to be bleeding edge.

Anyhow, what I really wanted to say is for more sensible unmasking,
check out autounmask:

moriah home # esearch autounmask
[ Results for search key : autounmask ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  app-portage/autounmask
      Latest version available: 0.27
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 3 kB
      Homepage:    http://download.mpsna.de/opensource/autounmask/
      License:     GPL-2

moriah home #