Special thanks to Alan and Nikos for offering help.

This morning I came up with a great idea for a test. I decided to re-emerge a
package that I know always logs a message to /var/log/portage/elog.

The package was nvidia-drivers, and after the emerge completed, I checked
/var/log/portage/elog and the expected message was there!

So, it appears my system is working properly.  I apparently just went through
a period of time during which none of the packages brought in by emerge -uNDv
world had any messages that needed to be logged.

Sorry for the apparent unnecessary post. Sure is embarrassing, but I continue
to learn and you guys gave some new things to try in the future.

Grateful for the suggestions,

billyd