On Tuesday 27 April 2010 17:06:07 Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 April 2010 00:18:19 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> > You haven't told us what kind of monitor that is,
>
> Because it isn't pertinent to what I asked.
>
> > but it sounds like it's a flatscreen. In that case you should definitely
> > run it on its native resolution, or else your display will ... strain
> > your eyes far more.
>
> It doesn't. I've always had blurred vision (myopia in one eye and
> astigmatism in the other, both fairly severe) and I'm better at
> resolving blurred images than picking detail out of small ones. I'm
> trying to reduce the neck-ache caused by straining forwards to see the
> screen.
>
> > However, Linux GUIs are very good at geometric upscaling, so I suggest
> > increasing font and icon sizes.
>
> I'll try that anyway; it may give me a better compromise. Thanks.

I've had the same problem on a high resolution (1920x1080), small size screen
(15.6").  The characters are tiny and anything else but native resolution
makes images and characters blurred.  The solution was to increase the font
size on the terminals and KDE apps.  However, I don't know how to make the
characters in the Firefox menus and body larger.  Am I supposed to run
gconftool-2 with some esoteric options?

--
Regards,
Mick