On 01.05.2010 um 10:32 wrote Volker Armin Hemmann:

On Samstag 01 Mai 2010, Graham Murray wrote:
Kraus Philipp <philipp.kr...@flashpixx.de> writes:
Hello,

I must test a software with a older version of the glibc. I run the
2.11.1 now but for one tool I need a previous version (2.6.1).
How can I compile the glibc without changing my system glibc. I would
like to set the previous glibc with the LD_PATH.
Can I run two different versions or is a better solution to downgrade
the system glib?

I think that the only way you can do this is to create a chroot jail,
in which you build everything using the old version of glibc (in a very similar way to building a new Gentoo system) and run your application in
that.

no, you can install glibc in /usr/local and then tell apps to either use the
libs in /usr/local or /usr.

It is just not easy because it easily breaks stuff in horrrible to fix ways.

Okay, can I downgrade my glibc? My Gentoo isn't a big system, it's a server installation, so I can recompile the whole system. I had forgotten to mask the glibc on the last update. I have add a line to the portage.mask but emerge says
that it can't compile the older version, because will damage the system.