Am 01.05.2010 um 12:40 schrieb William Kenworthy:

On Sat, 2010-05-01 at 12:25 +0200, Kraus Philipp wrote:

Am 01.05.2010 um 11:48 schrieb William Kenworthy:

On Sat, 2010-05-01 at 10:57 +0200, Kraus Philipp wrote:

On 01.05.2010 um 10:32 wrote Volker Armin Hemmann:

On Samstag 01 Mai 2010, Graham Murray wrote:
Kraus Philipp <philipp.kr...@flashpixx.de> writes:
Hello,

I must test a software with a older version of the glibc. I
run
the
2.11.1 now but for one tool I need a previous version
(2.6.1).
How can I compile the glibc without changing my system
glibc. I
would
like to set the previous glibc with the LD_PATH.
Can I run two different versions or is a better solution to
downgrade
the system glib?

I think that the only way you can do this is to create a
chroot
jail,
in which you build everything using the old version of glibc
(in a
very
similar way to building a new Gentoo system) and run your
application in
that.

no, you can install glibc in /usr/local and then tell apps to
either
use the
libs in /usr/local or /usr.

It is just not easy because it easily breaks stuff in horrrible
fix ways.

Okay, can I downgrade my glibc? My Gentoo isn't a big system, it's
server
installation, so I can recompile the whole system. I had forgotten
mask the
glibc on the last update. I have add a line to the portage.mask
but
emerge says
that it can't compile the older version, because will damage the
system.

Would LD_PRELOAD solve your problem? - worked for me when needing to
run
a legacy redhat app in the past on a more up-to-date gentoo system.

I think that can solve my problem, because it's only this one lib all
other libs
work very well.

There is also a LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable.  Get a binary copy of the
libs
you need and put em somewhere convenient and let the rest of the
system
stay as is.

I don't have the glibc binary. I can't emerge it and if I try to
compile from the sources.
The configure script says: These critical programs are missing or too
old: as ld

How I can compile the from the sources
(http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/glibc/glibc-2.10.1.tar.gz) ?

You can use ebuild to build a package, but not install it - then just
un-compress it and grab the wanted libs.

I will try it on my system first, because I can lean something new.

 Or if you tell us what arch,
someone (me if its compatible) can create a binary pkg for you using
quickpkg. It might also be on the livecd/install medium as well - dont
have one here to check.

I run my Gentoo on amd64 (intel xeon), thank's for help.