On Sunday 09 May 2010, walt wrote:

> This looks to me like a major portage screwup.  I see that on my ~amd64
> machine I have both versions of libpng, but the 1.2.43-r1 doesn't install
> a pkg-config file because 1.4.2 installs one with the same name, and just
> as bad, version 1.2.43-r1 removed the libpng12 header files.
>
> For now, I'd suggest just going back to to 1.2.43 if you can -- maybe mask
>
>  >1.2.43 in package.mask?
>
> Meanwhile I'm trying to fix firefox so I can read the bug report mentioned
> by Andras.

well I'm getting into a .la hell...
you need to rebuild packages which are themselves not invalid and therefore
can't be found by revdep-rebuild...

searching with "grep png12 `find /usr/lib64/ -name '*.la'`" lists all .la
files with a bad png version, rebuilding those will fix the system. after that
all packages found by revdep-rebuild can be emerged.

        Rudmer