Hi,

when playing dvds the movie gets stopped from time to time
and restarts itsself after a short oeriod of idle some frames
after the position where it halted.

I took a look into the log file and found this:

   hda: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
   hda: command error: error=0x50 { LastFailedSense=0x05 }
   hda: possibly failed opcode: 0xa0
   end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 13053192
   Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 3263298
   Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 3263299
   Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 3263300
   Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 3263301
   Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 3263302
   Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 3263303
   Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 3263304
   Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 3263305
   hda: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
   hda: command error: error=0x50 { LastFailedSense=0x05 }
   hda: possibly failed opcode: 0xa0
   end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 13053192
   Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 3263298
   Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 3263299
   hda: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
   hda: command error: error=0x50 { LastFailedSense=0x05 }
   hda: possibly failed opcode: 0xa0
   end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 13053192

Does this mean my drive is bad? The dvd itsself does not have any
visible scratches or something like that...

Or is it possible, that something below the application layer
and above the hardware layer has problems?

This symptom is noticeable with vlc as with mplayer.

Any hint/help is very appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!

Linux solfire 2.6.32.12 #2 SMP PREEMPT Sat May 8 19:54:40 CEST 2010 i686 AMD
Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
VLC version 1.0.6 Goldeneye
Player SVN-r30554-4.3.4
The linux kernel is the vanilla version.

Best regards,
mcc