On 2010-05-11, meino.cra...@gmx.de <meino.cra...@gmx.de> wrote:

> when playing dvds the movie gets stopped from time to time
> and restarts itsself after a short oeriod of idle some frames
> after the position where it halted.

>    hda: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
>    hda: command error: error=0x50 { LastFailedSense=0x05 }
>    hda: possibly failed opcode: 0xa0
>    end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 13053192
>    Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 3263298

> Does this mean my drive is bad? The dvd itsself does not have any
> visible scratches or something like that...

It's either the drive or the disk.

> Or is it possible, that something below the application layer
> and above the hardware layer has problems?

I doubt it, but it depends on what you mean by "the hardware layer".

The drive is reporting errors when it is trying to read the disk. I
suppose that could be due to buggy firmware in the optical drive
(which technically isn't a hardware failure).

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I once decorated my
                                  at               apartment entirely in ten