On 05/17/10 09:42, Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
Well, I'm less inclined to think now that X is responsible for the high CPU load. I wasn't too knowledgeable about the relationships between X and its clients when I made my initial assumption. It was more like "I startx + I move mouse + CPU shoots-up => it's X".

Looks more like kde is rocking my CPU. Indeed, xev doesn't print anything while I'm generating high CPU with mouse movements. Also, I had a notion twm didn't exhibit the phenomenon as long as I didn't execute any kde apps. But I'm not 100% sure about the latter experiment.

I'm runing KDE 3.5.10.

Amit

a. I had the "nv" driver instead of the "nvidia" driver loaded.
b. openGL was assigned to xorg. 'eselect opengl set' to nvidia fixed that.

X still goes as high as 30%. Still looks suspicious, but more acceptable.

Amit