On 05/20/10 01:06, Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 07:14:35AM -0400, CJoeB wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had wireless working just fine back when I was using the
>> 2.6.27-gentoo-r8 kernel.  Since upgrading to the 2.6.30 series of
>> kernels, I haven't been able to get it working.  I was using the ipw3945
>> driver, but this driver needs TKIP and something else (don't remember
>> what) set in the cryptographic section of the kernel source.  I can't
>> seem to find where that is located, if it is in the kernel that I am
>> currently running - 2.6.31-gentoo-r10.
>>
>> I've tried using the corresponding driver within the kernel, but I still
>> get told that my wireless connection does not exist and that I should
>> verify the hardware or kernel module driver.
>>
>> I have also always used wireless-tools.  I know wpa_supplicant is
>> supposed to be better because you can enable WEP encryption, but I tried
>> to set that up too and I still get told that my wireless connection does
>> not exist and that I should verify the hardware or kernel module driver.
>>
>> I'd be happy just using wireless-tools if I could get the ipw3945 driver
>> to build, but can't without TKIP.  Does anyone know if this setting has
>> been taken out of the kernel source or if it is just located in some
>> obsure place that I can't find?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Colleen
>>
>> --
>>
>> Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org
>>

> I'm sorry if I'm mistaken, or if this comes across as awfully rude but didn't
> you ask the same question back in March? Did you have a look at the replies
> from then to see if that could help with this issue?
> Also you can search within the kernel by entering '/' a search field will
> come up, and if you know part of the name (past thread of same title should
> reveal that), you should be able to locate it.
>
> Hope it helps

After you built your new kernel, did you re-emerge iwl3945-ucode?  I
usually forgot that step when upgrading my kernel (along with
nvidia-drivers).  I believe if you look in /var/log/messages, you'll see
a message about missing microcode if this is the case.

Also, I use wireless-tools just fine with mine, and it's running
2.6.31-r10 (I keep meaning to upgrade my kernel to the latest stable).

John Moe