On 07/08/2010 11:28 PM, Grant wrote:
Does mplayer from multimedia overlay include mplayer-mt and ffmpeg-mt
patches, or just ffmpeg-mt?

"mplayer-mt" is mplayer with ffmpeg-mt.

Sorry for my misunderstanding.  I'd like to follow the latest mplayer
with ffmpeg-mt support.

There is no latest "mplayer with ffmpeg-mt" support.  There is mplayer,
ffmpeg and ffmpeg-mt.  To get what most people refer to as "mplayer-mt", you
have to replace the bundled ffmeg that is included in mplayer with
ffmpeg-mt.

Is there a way to either do that
specifically, or to follow the latest mplayer version in the
multimedia overlay?  The situation is a little tricky since there is a
version in portage that is newer than the newest version in the
multimedia overlay.

That's because the developer who updates the multimedia overlay didn't yet
put the ebuild there.  The latest version I released (which is based on the
latest available ffmpeg-mt sources) is "1.0_rc4_p20100626":

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-789673.html

Got it, thanks.  Hopefully that shows up in the multimedia overlay
soon.  It's interesting that the mplayer-uau ebuild includes a threads
USE flag in addition to the ffmpeg-mt one.

I guess it might be based on an older mplayer ebuild. Not sure. IIRC, "threads" was a valid USE flag in older mplayer ebuilds. I'm not sure what it was good for, but it didn't help at all to distribute decoding load across CPUs.