[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Richard Fish wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I test by rebooting and entering my bios settings, and then i set the
boot device to hd1 instead of hd0. Save and exit, and grub tells me
"Error 15: File not found".

For grub, the (hd0) and (hd1) devices are the ordered in the same order that the BIOS puts them in, so if you are going to switch them around in the BIOS, you should set the entries in the grub.conf to (hd0,0) instead of (hd1,0). In otherwords, (hd0) is always "the disk currently being booted from".

You can test this by editing the lines when grub comes up, and change kernel to be:

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1

-Richard

AHA! That sure sounds like my problem. I'll test this tonight.

So the mapping is NOT hard-coded:
    hd0 = primary master
    hd1 = primary slave
    hd2 = secondary master
    hd3 = secondary slave
but rather is the boot order I select?

That is true, well, sort of. It is defined as "BIOS order", which generally means that the disk being booted from is the first BIOS disk. The other disks could be in the same order that you specified for boot, or in the order they were detected.

In case you still have some trouble, one other command that might be useful from the grub prompt is:

find /boot/vmlinuz

That will cause grub to search all of the primary partitions on all of the disks for the specified file, and output where it is found.

-Richard