On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Richard Fish wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I test by rebooting and entering my bios settings, and then i set the
boot device to hd1 instead of hd0. Save and exit, and grub tells me
"Error 15: File not found".

For grub, the (hd0) and (hd1) devices are the ordered in the same order that the BIOS puts them in, so if you are going to switch them around in the BIOS, you should set the entries in the grub.conf to (hd0,0) instead of (hd1,0). In otherwords, (hd0) is always "the disk currently being booted from".

You can test this by editing the lines when grub comes up, and change kernel to be:

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1

-Richard

I'm glad to report that Richard's suggestion solved my problem. Thanks
very much!

After a bit of experimentation, this worked:

        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1 init=/bin/sh

That's interesting, because the first line refers to the drive
(remember, it's my slave primary device, but in my BIOS I have it
selected for booting) as hd0, but the second line refers to it as hdb.
Yes, I tried hda, and it didn't work.

I did a bit of research after our initial email and it seems that grub
numbering starts with the BIOS boot device, and then goes up from there,
but I couldn't find any clear explanation of what happens with drives that preceeded the boot device. If you have 4 drives and you boot from the second, does grub go back and get the first at the end, or never? A topic for future research.

The information I found also suggests that this is somewhat BIOS
dependent, so future readers of this thread take note: this may not
apply to you. Trial and error may be the only foolproof solution.

Thanks again everyone,

Michael