On Wednesday 21 July 2010 17:49:46 Bill Longman wrote:
> And to play devil's advocate, I'll chime in with my experience. The 4.4
> GCC, at least on AMD CPUs, creates noticeably faster code. I recompiled
> all my packages after I upgraded to 4.4 and it was a noticeable
> difference.
>
> But, to make perfectly clear what Alan and Dale have stated previously,
> it is not a requirement to recompile anything. The binaries that are
> created still call the same system calls as they did before. The kernel
> still publishes them in the same locations. And to prove to yourself
> this is true, grab a statically linked binary, compiled for a stock
> standard i686, and run it on your machine.

I'd love to be able to experience the speedups of gcc-4.4 and by rights I
should be able to - my last "rip gentoo apart and put it back together again"
stunt needed an emerge -e world to fix it all.

But, and this is the bit that makes me cry, the slowdown from KDE-4.4.5 has
obliterated all that advantage several times over.....

raster *really* needs to hurrry up now and release e17

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com