Am 26.07.2010 01:01, schrieb James:
> Florian Philipp <lists <at> f_philipp.fastmail.net> writes:
>

>> I have a quick question: I plan to buy a notebook with an ATI Mobility
>> Radeon HD 4250. How well would that one work? Can I reasonably expect
>> Suspend2Ram, 3d acceleration etc to work stable?
>
> Well, lots of good information previously posted. Here's a
> few more tidbits. When ATI video get's older, there's
> always good opensource solutions to keep using it. Nvidia,
> sometimes you toss in garbage can, or use vesa or
> get lucky? Dunno, as I personally avoid Nvidia; other
> insist on Nvidia..... kinda a religious thing with some.....

Hehe, religious is the right word. I remember a situation at my
workplace: The admin of our departement IT ordered a Linux workstation
with (fully supported) ATI graphics. At the last second he was overruled
by the head of our institute's IT in favor of a completely unsupported
and more expensive NVidia card. Not only did the poor guy have to wait
two more weeks for the shipment to arrive, he was also stuck with the
VESA driver for half a year and unstable NVidia drivers ever since.

Well, thanks everyone who answered! Problem solved.

Florian Philipp