Nvidia's binary can't be compared to ATI's one. The problems you describe
are ATI-binary specific.

And yes the nvidia binary replaces a lot of Xorg stuff, but after some time
you will realise that this is a good thing, as the Xorg is a mess, breaks
with updates, and introduces bugs with each release. And because developers
know that, they always prepare their software for nvidia, as it is the only
*serious* graphics solution for *nix right now.

Don't get me wrong, I don't even have an nvidia card in my systems right now
(cause ATI are superior in windows, all my systems have ATI), but I miss the
times that I had one. So much more stuff worked without problems and with
better performance.