Hello,

On Tuesday, 10. August 2010 20:26:29 Petric Frank wrote:
> i've installed Gentoo and KDE 4.4 on an AMD64 system, configured
> /etc/conf.d/xdm to start kdm as login server.

To be clear - it is not an 64 Bit OS, it is still x86.

> After login the KDE4 desktop starts up - a little box with at least 5 or 6
> icons in it where one after the other icon displays blurred and then comes
> clear (Disk, Tools, World, ...).
> This process stops at the fourth icon (after the world icon) which remains
> blurred. At this stage the PC simply hangs - no ssh, no VT-switch, nothing.
>
> So my first question is - what stage the fourth icon stands for. And where
> to look for the issue.
>
> After a reboot to the command line i viewed the logs (/var/log/messages,
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log) but nothing looks suspicious. The last line in
> /var/log/messages reads:
> opened for  ...
>
> The user was newly created using "useradd -m -g ...). There was no .kde4
> directory in his home directory.

Usually i add new users also to the plugdev group. As a test i removed the
user from this group i got past the plash screen. Now the normal screen came
up.

So it seems that the problem has something to do with the plugging system.

At which places i should throw an eye ?

regards
  Petric