Tim Igoe wrote:
> cd /usr/src/linux
>
> make menuconfig
>
> edit the kernel options to set up the iptables parts needed in the
> kernel (can't rememebr where they are - not just at my normal box atm)
>
> then install the new kernel like you did originally

Just a reminder here, all the answers are already in this thread ;)

In the newer kernels (>= 2.6.10 ??) there is a search functionality
callable with the key "/" .
so pressing "/" , Enter Keyword "iptables" will show something like this :

 | IP tables support (required for filtering/masq/NAT) (IP_NF_IPTABLES)
 | Location:
 |  -> Device Drivers
 |   -> Networking support
 |    -> Networking support (NET)
 |     -> Networking options
 |      -> Network packet filtering (replaces ipchains) (NETFILTER)
 |       -> IP: Netfilter Configuration
 | Depends:
 | [...]

when all is configured, save the configuration and type:

#mount /boot ; make && make modules_install && make install

or use your preferred kernelmaker program.