On 08/27/2010 09:10 AM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On Friday 27 August 2010 18:03:51 Bill Longman wrote:
>> On 08/27/2010 01:50 AM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>> On 08/27/2010 10:37 AM, Dale wrote:
>
> <Snipped>
>
>> Yet another way to use labels:
>>
>> When you make the filesystem, apply the name then i.e.:
>>
>>   mke2fs -j -L SpeedySSD /dev/sde1
>>
>> then in your /etc/fstab use the label like this:
>>
>>   LABEL=SpeedySSD /usr/home  ext3  relatime  0 2
>
> I don't think Dale (The OT) would like to have to reformat his partitions
> just
> to get this to work :)

:-)

I thought, too, (of course *after* I had pressed "SEND") that I should
have switched those two sentences around. I do not mean to imply that
you have to zap all your data to use labels. That would really drive
people away from Gentoo, wouldn't it? (I'll be right there, honey, I
just have to reformat my boot partition!)

Please read these as two completely separate and independent examples,
one for how to set them up in the first place and second, how to apply them.