Richard Fish schrieb:
> Alexander Skwar wrote:
>
>>Richard Fish schrieb:

>>>Dm-crypt is fairly well supported, since it is in the kernel, but I find
>>>it to be harder to setup
>>>

>>hard to setup? How? What's hard about it?
>>
>>You just encrypt the block device and create an fs on it.
>>
>>/sbin/lvcreate -nToBeEnc -L5g sys     \
>>      && echo 'sekret' | /bin/cryptsetup create Crypted /dev/sys/ToBeEnc
>> \
>>      && mkfs -t reiser4 /dev/mapper/Crypted  \
>>      && mount /dev/mapper/Crypted /some/where
>>
>>Obviously, the lvcreate and mkfs steps are just a one time step :)
>>

> First, I did not say dm-crypt was "hard to setup".  I said I find it
> harder to be setup than loop-AES.

Yes, you're right. But since dm-crypt is so easy to setup with
cryptsetup, I can't imagine how much more easy you want to have
it.

> Have you used both loop-AES and dm-crypt?  I have.

No. dm-crypt is good enough for me. No need for something else.

Is it possible to encrypt the complete block device with loop-AES?
Or does it only encrypt a file that's afterwards loop mounted?

> If you want to know what, specifically, I find more difficult about
> cryptsetup, it is the documentation.

Well.

>  The grand sum of documentation
> available for dm-crypt/cryptsetup after doing an 'emerge cryptsetup' is
> "cryptsetup --help".

Well. I didn't need more.

> And yes, I know there are better guides online, but it is not always
> possible to go online.

Well. Download the stuff and print it, or something. For me, it's
always possible to go online.

> Also, I wanted to be able to change my password.  With loop-AES, this is
> a simple matter of re-encrypting my key file with a new password.
> cryptsetup makes this more difficult.  Not impossible, just more difficult.

Well, no. It IS impossible. You need to create a new crypted device.

> <advice>
> Also, echoing your password on a command line to cryptsetup is an
> extremely bad idea.  If an attacker happens to be on your system at that
> moment, a simple 'ps' will show them your passphrase.

How?

/bin/crypsetup < file-with-passphrase

Where does the attacker see the passphrase?

Oh. You took my example way too literally. *echo*ing the password
is an extremely bad idea. You're of course right. But in reality
I of course don't do that. Further, I said, that the password can
be piped to cryptsetup.

Alexander Skwar
--
 Paul: Good way to avoid frostbite, folks, put your hands between
 your buttocks. That's nature's pocket.