On 10/19/2010 09:48 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:
>> Hi, do you know about this page?
>> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/PulseAudio I tried Pulseaudio in my
>> Gentoo once by using that guide.
> thanks. I'm pretty sure I've followed that page before, but hey - it was
> a long time ago. I adjusted my setup according to what it says *now* -
> we'll see what comes out of it. I followed links a bit deeper and also
> checked my setup against
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-789181-highlight-pulseaudio.html
> adjusting a thing or two (like using hal module vs udev, however
> something tells me I'll be switching back pretty soon...).
>
> I'll try it out for a while and post back the results.

well my attempts are unsuccessful so far. Applying "every trick in a
book" from the above links I've got nowhere. I can reliably reproduce
the problem: start amarok, try to start playing movie with, say mplayer,
skip through couple of frames - and voila! sound is gone. I've tried
both Xine and GStreamer backends so far with the same outcome.

So what I've done on top of my setup is: installed alsa-plugins, changed
pulseaudio configs as per above forum post (checking along the way that
my setup matches).

Interesting "touch" on this entire ordeal I see "Internal Audio Analog
stereo" after
startup, but if I kill pulseaudio process with:

/usr/bin/pulseaudio --kill

my Multimedia settings will display "PulseAudio server". Problems remain
the same though. It could be the Mplayer's fault - I switched it over
from "ao=alsa" to "ao=pulse" and same happens.

Right now I've got to the point where one app may lock the device while
other seems to be sending output to /dev/null and keeps sending it after
app that locked device quits (looks like this is the result of using
GStreamer over Xine backend).