On Saturday 06 November 2010, Dale wrote:
> Dale wrote:

> This is getting weird.  I haven't rebooted in a few weeks now.  I tried
> to watch a video a bit ago and it was slow again.  It was down to about
> 2 or 3 frames per second.  It is awful.  If I go tell it to switch to
> opengl, it gets fast again but after a while it will go back to being
> really slow.  Why do I have to keep telling it to use nvidia's opengl
> when it says it is using it and I have switched to a few times?  If it
> is using it, why does it slow down until I tell it to switch?
>
> I did do a huge KDE upgrade the other day.  I don't recall seeing
> anything else X related being updated but I could have missed something
> in that LONG list.  I did do a baselayout upgrade and portage itself has
> been upgraded a few times.
>
> Any ideas on why this thing keeps doing this?  Would a reboot even help
> in this situation?

When it gets very slow start up top and see what's using the CPU. My bet is
the Xserver. I have a GeForce 9400 GT 512MB and the xserver will happily use
90% while nothing much is happening. Start a KDE4 app which constantly updates
(ktorrent, kps are good 3rd party examples) and the xserver goes crazy.

HTH
-Robin
Robin Atwood.

         from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling