On 8/11/2010, at 9:01pm, Kyle Bader wrote:

>> Nothing here to steal, unless hacks can jump
>> an air gap firewall....(ha ha)....
>
> Sorry to go off on a tangent but I couldn't help pointing out a common
> misconception: you don't need to worry about security because you
> assume you don't have anything worth protecting.  A machine with
> internet access alone is an asset that many adversaries would be happy
> to abuse.

James doesn't actually say where he's located, but assuming he's in a similar
situation to most of us: I understood that unix boxes with only a domestic
broadband internet connection were now considered extremely low-value to
hackers.

If one only needs a compromised box with a domestic broadband internet
connection then one can seed dodgy movie files on Rapidshare or whatever, and
obtain multiple compromised Windows boxes far more easily than a single Linux
box.

I would imagine that there are plenty of poorly configured rented servers and
virtual hosts in datacentres, on the other hand, which would be far more
attractive.

Stroller.