Stroller wrote:
On 8/11/2010, at 5:56pm, Dale wrote:
I have not been able to get grub to see the LABELS yet but I'm going to post
fstab so that you have a example that is known to work and not from a guide:

/dev/disk/by-label/boot        /boot        ext2        noatime        1 2
/dev/disk/by-label/root        /        reiserfs    defaults    0 1
/dev/disk/by-label/swap        none        swap        sw        0 0
/dev/disk/by-label/portage    /usr/portage    ext3        defaults    0 1
/dev/disk/by-label/home        /home        reiserfs    defaults    1 1
/dev/disk/by-label/data        /data        reiserfs    defaults    0 1
I'm not paying enough attention to know whether your above fastab works or not,
but /dev/disk/by-label/* seems a relatively ugly way of doing things. I'm
pretty sure it's not intended that you use that format, and I have no idea
whether it's supposed to work that way.

All the guides say to use the word "LABEL". That's not a variable or anything -
it's the literal word you're supposed to use.

I have no idea why a guide should be considered unreliable, but the below is
not fabricated - it is from an actual working system:

$ grep -ve ^# /etc/fstab

LABEL=boot              /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime  1 2
LABEL=/                 /               ext4            noatime         0 1
LABEL=swap              none            swap            sw              0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom      auto            noauto,ro,users 0 0

LABEL=space             /mnt/space      ext4            noatime         0 3

shm             /dev/shm        tmpfs           nodev,nosuid,noexec     0 0
$

To me this seems cleaner than your format, and it's certainly fewer characters!

Stroller.

Well, it does work since it booted as recent as last night when I updated my kernel. I found that somewhere and just copied that to mine. It may be the long way but it does work. I may edit it and try it your way but since mine works and I don't move things to much, not sure it really matters.

I sometimes like to get things from a working system, such as what you posted that you use, because sometimes what is in a guide somewhere may not apply to what I am using or even my OS. May be some subtle difference that causes me grief. Since you use Gentoo, yours is a good example to go by. Should have had that a few months ago when I was changing mine over. ;-) It would have saved me some typing as you pointed out. lol

Wouldn't happen to have LABELS in your grub.conf file would you?

Dale

:-)  :-)