Apparently, though unproven, at 02:45 on Friday 26 November 2010, Michael
Orlitzky did opine thusly:

> On 11/24/2010 04:35 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > I need to get to the work CVS server from home. It's not exposed to the
> > internet but never fear! we have ssh -L and a convenient sshd host that
> > is on the internets. So, locally
> >
> > ssh -Llocalhost:1111:cvs.example.com:22 a...@gateway.example.com
> >
> > and tell cvs that the server is localhost:1111
> >
> > I do this all the time for lots of other stuff. Doesn't work for CVS
> > because there's no way to tell cvs to tell ssh what port to use.
> >
> > Google gives lots of hits about using the host-specific Host directive in
> > ~/.ssh/config but that won't work for me - it assumes I can see the CVS
> > server directly and doesn't take into account that I have port
> > forwarding in the way.
> >
> > Anyone know a way to get cvs to use any port other than 22? I'm receptive
> > to alternate cvs clients with this support, just not ones that tweak ssh
> > to do it.
>
> Use a full-blown tunnel instead of redirection magic.

[snip]

Sorry for the late reply to everyone, I was having a good long hard think
about this.

A full-blown tunnel is attractive, except for this thing at work called The
Security Forum and it has powers that the TSA in the States have wet dreams
over. If I was caught running an un-sanctioned into the corporate network,
there would be carnage.

Seeing as I am a founding member of said Forum, and it's most vocal member,
and the person who brings 3 out of 4 cases before it so that users can
understand how we do stuff, I *really* don't want to invoke the ire of my
peers :-)

So I've gone with plan B: use the official VPN, even though it sucks. Lucky
I'm on Linux so "route del" undoes most of it's sillyness.

Thanks anyway for all the responses.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com