masterprometheus wrote:
Dale wrote:

Hi,

Doing some research on building me a new rig.  I have ran into sort
of a
hick up.  The socket types are confusing me here.  This is the mobo
that
I *might* be getting.

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodmbspec&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=171&cat3_no=&prod_no=1856
If that link don't work, it is a MSI 790XT-G45 mobo.

I do most of my shopping on newegg and was looking for a CPU heat
sink
to go on that bad boy.  The MSI website says AM2+.  When I start to
looking on newegg, there are several sockets that have AM2+ in it.
My
question is, which is which or will any of them fit?

The CPU I am looking at is a AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb
3.0GHz and it says it is a AM2+ as well.  I assume that will fit the
mobo?  ;-)   It doesn't come with a cooler tho.

I may end up picking something else for the mobo and CPU but I do
want
to figure out what the differences are between these socket types and
what fits what.  Explanations are good and links are good too.
Pictures may even be better.  lol
Yes all HSF for AM2/AM2+/AM3 should work with your CPU. A good one
(price/performance) would be this one :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233082

But may I suggest that you buy another mobo. It's not that cheap and lack
some features :

1. It utilizes DDR2. I think you want this to get that OEM AMD CPU but
it's not worth in my opinion. DDR2 modules are generally more expensive
than DDR3 ones and will be more so in future.

2. No USB 3 ports. May not be that important but it's available already
in most motherboards.

3. No SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. No big deal in general but might become
important if you buy a high performance solid state disk.

4. No e-sata port.

A few options for you :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157197 (no 6Gb/s
and only 1 USB 3 port but very inexpensive)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131660 (no
6Gb/s, no e-sata, VIA audio codec, but 2 usb 3 ports)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157192 (VIA
audio codec, only 1 USB 3 port, up to 2 firewire port, 1 e-sata 6Gb/s,
all the features, good price)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130269
(everything right and better components, a little expensive of course)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128435 (great
layout, high quality components, lacks e-sata though, but lots of
expansion slots, expensive of course but a great one)

Good luck

Thanks for confirming that the coolers will fit. I did some googling but it just wasn't making sense to me yet. I found a site later on that said most coolers used different "adapters" to work with different sockets if needed. That helped me figure out some of it.

Picking another mobo was a good idea.  I actually ended up picking this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103675

That is a GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 AM3 AMD 770 which is a bit better. I'll have to figure out a way to get my UPS, which uses a serial port, to work but I *think* I still have a serial to USB adapter around here somewhere. I'm going to have to cross that bridge one of these days.

This mobo is not as new as the Gigabyte you linked to but the one I posted above is in my budget. I actually blew my budget and may end up spending a little more than planed. I forgot the the new way for drives is to use SATA instead of IDE. I had to add a DVD burner that was SATA and also had to get some Artic Silver since I can't find my other tube from years ago.

I'll take the opportunity to say this again. The new Cooler Master case is HUGE. lol

Dale

:-)  :-)