On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 6:33 AM, Stroller <strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 27/11/2010, at 10:22pm, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>> Does using the ck-sources kernel reduce the necessity to use ionice?
>>
>> To some degree, yes.
>
> Tried this late last week. You chose your words perfectly - there is only
> some degree of improvement.
>
> The machine seems much snappier if I return to an interactive session after
> leaving it idle for some time, but during DVD rips it is still unresponsive
> for tens of seconds at a time. It seems like maybe it responds quicker than
> mainline sources, but it's still so slow that it's both unusable and hard to
> be sure whether that's the case.
>
> Will try cgroups this week, perhaps.
>
> Stroller.

Hi Stroller,
   As I understand the cgroups thing it only provides fair CPU access
to things started in a terminal. (Or the console as long as the
console is still running the app I suppose.) How are you starting your
desktop? Are you doing that in some way that fits this model?

   Also, my bad - I did bad calulations when I responded to this
earlier suggest a quick look at the way your machine is caching write
data. Let me do that again:

c2stable ~ # sysctl -a | grep vm.dirty
error: "Invalid argument" reading key "fs.binfmt_misc.register"
error: permission denied on key 'net.ipv4.route.flush'
vm.dirty_background_ratio = 5
vm.dirty_background_bytes = 0
vm.dirty_ratio = 10
vm.dirty_bytes = 0
vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 500
vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 3000
error: permission denied on key 'net.ipv6.route.flush'
c2stable ~ #

As vm.dirty_ratio is 10% that says the kernel will cache a write up to
10% of memory before it starts pushing the data out to disk. If the
machine has 8GB then that's 800MB. (Not 80MB that I stated earlier.)
If your disk subsystem writes data at something like 50MB/Sec then
that's 800/50 or about 16 seconds to get it all to disk.

As the system will start backing off the write somewhere about
vm.dirty_background_ratio maybe it's only half of that but that's
still 8 seconds.

If you are only seeing this unresponsive nature when doing writes you
really should play a little bit with these two parameters. I found
they did a lot for my machines. Imagine 24GB @ 10%. I was caching
2.4GB of data in memory and writing it out at about 80MB/Sec, taking
something like 30 seconds. Miserable!

Good luck!

Cheers,
Mark