Apparently, though unproven, at 14:27 on Wednesday 01 December 2010, Peter
Humphrey did opine thusly:

> On Monday 29 November 2010 10:58:10 I wrote:
> > ... it'll be tomorrow before I have any emerging to do ...
>
> Well, what strange results. Desktop responsiveness is drastically
> improved. On the other hand:
>
> $ time (sudo emerge --sync)
> [...]
> real    10m3.185s
> user    0m6.331s
> sys     0m0.575s
>
> This is with a Gentoo rsync server on the same LAN segment. A P4 box on
> the same segment recorded about 65s for the same command - nearly 10
> times as fast.
>
> On this box, calculating dependencies took about another 10 minutes,
> though I couldn't time it accurately because it's only part of a
> process. I was watching gkrellm and its display of CPU load while
> simultaneously running four instances of BOINC clients (one per core) at
> large niceness levels, and in the graphs I couldn't see any sign that
> emerge was running at all.

I get the same here. Flash and such things run nicely without hogging the rest
of the machine, but dependency checking also takes ages. Except that I DO see
high cpu usage in gkrell. I assume it's a simple I/O blocking issue as the
machine is still quite responsive when it's doing a dep check.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com