On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 3:23 AM, Helmut Jarausch
<jarau...@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does anybody know about an easy method to remove all entries from
> /var/lib/portage/world
> which would have been pulled in anyway
> even if they were not contained in world.
>
> My current attempt would be to write a script
> which executes emerge -vpc on each entry in world.
> If it wouldn't be removed it's obsolete in world.
>
> Unfortunately this has to be done in several rounds.
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
> Helmut.

In my experience the world file isn't huge - 50-100 lines - but only
if it contains the things that really need to be there. I've simply
commented out specific entries and run emerge -pvDuN @world to
determine if the entry wasn't necessary, and if it wasn't then removed
it. When I've boiled it down to things that need to be there (I.e. - I
can still run emerge -pvDuN @world and there would be no changes) then
I run emerge - p --depclean to look at what can be removed, make sure
it's OK, and then run depclean for real.

Hope this helps,
Mark