Andrea Conti <a...@alyf.net> [10-12-12 14:00]:
> > AMD k10 was already in and reports everything -- only the fan stuff
> > was missing, which (normall) the ITE (it87) chip is used for.
>
> Current IT87xx chips provide fan, temperature and voltage readings.
>
> If you built the drivers as modules, are you sure everything (it87 and
> the relevant i2c drivers) is loaded?
> Check the kernel log for any error messages.
>
> > The version of lm_sensors, which is in portage reports here "driver to
> > be written" but the svn-version of lm_sensors seems to support it
>
> Support for a specific sensor chip is provided by the kernel driver, not
> by lm_sensors. sensor-detect only provides advice based on the situation
> at the time it was released; if a more recent revision says that the
> chip is supported, it means that a driver for the chip now exists, *not*
> that the driver provided by the current kernel supports it.
>
> However, according to this page the it8720F chip seems to be supported
> starting from kernel 2.6.29, so kernel version is not your problem.
>
> http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices
>
> andrea

The chip on the board is a ITE IT8721.

An excerpt of the top part of
/usr/src/linux-2.36.6.2/drivers/hwmon/it87.c

 *
 *  Supports: IT8705F  Super I/O chip w/LPC interface
 *            IT8712F  Super I/O chip w/LPC interface
 *            IT8716F  Super I/O chip w/LPC interface
 *            IT8718F  Super I/O chip w/LPC interface
 *            IT8720F  Super I/O chip w/LPC interface
 *            IT8726F  Super I/O chip w/LPC interface
 *            Sis950   A clone of the IT8705F
 *

 Therefore the chip is unsupported and the kernel is the source of the
 problem according to your explanations.

 mcc