On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

On Thursday 06 January 2011 20:10:15 KIM WHALEN wrote:
On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 3:02 PM, walt wrote:
On 01/06/2011 10:43 AM, KIM WHALEN wrote:
Sorry, I did
# echo ">=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-177.0.0" >>
/etc/portage/package.mask
first

Good, you're now trying to install the correct version.

then tried it again and got the following error.

Your kernel was configured to include nvidiafb support!

The nvidiafb driver conflicts with the NVIDIA driver, please
reconfigure your kernel and *disable* nvidiafb support, then
try installing the NVIDIA kernel module again.

Looks like you haven't done that yet, right?

Haven't got it installed yet. Should I just buy a new nVidia card? I really wouldn't mind, I just don't want to get a new one if I'm going to
have the same problems.  Thanks.

could you please use an email client that does not butcher threading?

And a new card does not help you if you don't set up your kernel correctly.

I made the kernel with the nvidia driver as a module and the "emerge x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers" worked. However, running Xorg -configure still fails.

. . . and I would love to use and email client that doesn't butcher threading, but I can't until I get this problem fixed. I have to do a remote login from a machine at work and use optonline's webbased client. Sorry.