On Thursday 06 January 2011 23:51:38 KIM WHALEN wrote:

> I made the kernel with the nvidia driver as a module and the "emerge
> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers" worked.  However, running Xorg -configure
> still fails.

you don't even need that.

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
        Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "evdev"
        Option      "CorePointer"
        Option      "Name" "Logitech, Inc. MX610 Laser Cordless Mouse"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "evdev"
        Option      "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
        Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
        Option      "XkbModel" "evdev"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "de"
        Option      "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
        Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
        Option      "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
        Option      "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
        Driver      "fglrx"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
        Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
        Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

this is for fglrx - just change fglrx to nvidia - and you have a working
nvidia xorg.conf.

Just stop doing stupid things with your kernel config. No framebuffer. Not even
as modules!