Hi Michael et al,

Michael Crute wrote:

> Colleen,
> Glad to see another Fedora user see the light! Here's the scoop... you
> haven't botched anything you just need to configure your X server. In
> theory it is very easy to configure your X server all you need to do
> is run "Xorg --configure" as root then copy the xorg config file from
> /root/xorg.conf.new to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and startx again.

I was hopeful here.  I did as outlined and after running Xorg
-configure, the file /root.xorg.conf.new was produced.  I got a message
stating how to test the xserver.  And I still couldn't start x.

It's complaining a bit less than it did before, but I'm still getting
these lines of error messages:

>     (EE) GARTinit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (no such file or directory)
>     (EE)I810(0) AGPGART support is not available.  Make sure your
>     kernel has
>     agpgart support or that the agpgart kernel module is loaded
>     (EE)Screens found, but non have useable configuration
>     Fatal server error:
>     no screens found

If I need to reconfigure the kernel, fine.  However, I need to be told
specifically what to do.

To refresh, this is my graphics/video info:

Graphics integrated into the system board into the system board: - an
Intel i810 chip.
Specifics:

Integrated Intel Direct AGP Graphics Accelerator with Dynamic Video
Memory (DVM) technology architecture.

Other details are as follows (I provide this in case it is thought that
I should have installed an extra kernel module):

Graphics architecture:  Intel Dynamic Video Memory (DVM) technology

Graphics accelerator: Intel Direct Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP)
2D and 3D graphics accelerator

Display cache: 4 MB, 100-MHz synchronous dynamic random-access memory
(SDRAM)

Graphics memory: Dynamically assigned from system memory

Video resolutions

800 x 600 pixels; 85 hertz (Hz) refresh rate with 16.7 million colors
1024 x 786 pixels; 85 Hz refresh rate with 64,000 colors
1280 x 1024 pixels; 85 Hz refresh rate with 256 colors
1600 x 1200 pixels 75 Hz refresh rate with 256 colors

The computer is a Dell Optiplex GX100 and the monitor is a Dell E551,

Regards,

Colleen