On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 09:22 +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 10:07:45 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
> > > I have a diskless 3GB ram atom system (mythtv frontend) and I have to
> > > arrange swap over nbd for gcc and glibc emerges - others just get very
> > > slow when getting to limits, or get flaky unless -j1 is used.  Havent
> > > tried OO on it yet :)
> >
> > I'M flabbergasted. 3G is really a gigantic amount of memory and yet the
> > machine still runs out of the stuff?
> >

> If it's diskless, where are /tmp and /var/tmp mounted? If they use tmpfs
> the "memory" usage is understandable. If they use NFS the emerges must be
> unbearably slow.

For normal usage, they are in tmpfs along with portage but I mount them
over nfs for larger packages as memory is too constrained (just comment
out the lines in fstab) - most packages take much less than a hundred mb
or so for the storage unless its glibc or the like.  After a reboot they
are using no space (of course) and it just takes a sync to replace
portage and I use http-replicator on the network so distfiles are not a
problem.

Lightning fast for smaller packages, but yes, much slower over nfs.
That being said, its still faster (over nfs) for some packages than my
old athlon desktop.  However, swap over nbd is sloooowwwwwww, but
works :)

BillK