On 18:20 Wed 02 Feb     , walt wrote:

> The ext4 wiki site claims that fsck runs 2 to 20 time faster than
> ext3, depending on the number and size of the files contained in
> the ext4 filesystem.
>
> I have no experience with ext4 (yet), but I would welcome comments
> from those who do.

Well, on one of my machines, I have converted all my filesystems to
ext4 recently. Basically, I did a backup of the data on the machine,
reformated all my partitions as ext4 (except for /boot, which always
remains ext2 here) and copied back the data. The largest of these "now
ext4 and previously ext3" partitions is a 30% full, ~500 GB /home
partitition (but don't ask me for the current number of files).

While I'm not really one of those benchmark type of guys sitting in
front of their computers with a watch and raving like mad about every
0.0001 second saved during some process, I would say that an fsck on
that ext4 filesystem certainly works faster than it did when it still
was a ext3 filesystem. Probably not really 20 times faster, but
noticably faster.

On the other hand, the ext3 incarnation of that fs was in use for
years, the ext4 is a fresh copy of it, without any significant
fragmentation (yet), so this might also play a role in leading to
faster fsck performance.

In any case, besides that I can say that at least on that one system
of mine, ext4 works really well and I've not yet had any problems with
it.

Greetings,
Nils

--
Nils Holland * Ti Systems, Wunstorf-Luthe (Germany)