On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Alex Schuster <wo...@wonkology.org> wrote:
> Mark Knecht writes:
>
>> Can someone recommend a good IDE to write C code in?
>>
>> 1) Something that can display multiple files in a project.
>>
>> 2) Something that have some sort of version control built into it?
>>
>> 3) If possible, I can compile right in the IDE.
>
> Emacs. If you dare to go this way. The learning curve is high, but once
> you know how to use it, you probably will be glad.
> Eclipse is pretty cool, and I've heard good things about Kdevelop.
>
>> I've starting writing something. It's hundreds of lines long in 1 file
>> and I just messed up a brace somewhere which I haven't been able to
>> figure out in vi.
>
> Just use the % key.
>
>        Wonko

I specifically _don't_ want a high learning curve. I want this to
remain fun, if possible.

After an hour and a half of llooking for the problem in vi KDevelop
with it's color editor helped me find the problem in a few minutes.
That's a big help.

I haven't figured out how to tell Kdevelop to use a different compiler
but that's not important right now. I can build in a terminal until I
learn how.

Thanks for the ideas.

I also loaded up codeblocks which I read good things about. CodeLite
is supposed to be good but I couldn't get it unmasked.

Netbeans wanted to install too much Java stuff. Understandable as it's
written in Java but I decided not to look at that one right now.

For now I'm set. Thanks!

Cheers,
Mark