On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 9:09 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@arcor.de> wrote:
> On 02/06/2011 12:08 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> Can someone recommend a good IDE to write C code in?
>>
>> 1) Something that can display multiple files in a project.
>>
>> 2) Something that have some sort of version control built into it?
>>
>> 3) If possible, I can compile right in the IDE.
>>
>> I've starting writing something. It's hundreds of lines long in 1 file
>> and I just messed up a brace somewhere which I haven't been able to
>> figure out in vi.
>
> I use Qt Creator.  Though it's primarily for C++, I also use it for C. I
> recommend it because it's very easy to use.  For version control, it
> supports Git, Subversion, Mercurial and Perforce.
>
> If you decide to use it and also make use of its own build system (qmake),
> post about it so I can tell you how to configure a project for plain C,
> because by default new projects are C++.

I'll take a look at it. Do you recommend the testing 2.0 versions or stable 1.3?

At this time I have no need for GUI development. The app I want to do
right now could run on the command line. However getting started with
something that did support eventually doing a GUI would be nice as
long as it doesn't kill me.

As for the C vs C++ issue, I only say C because the NVidia nvcc
compiler seems to be primarily a C compiler. It's not until you get to
Appendix D in the programming guide that they even mention C++ in the
context of CUDA.

That said, however, my understanding of what nvcc does is that what it
really does breaks apart the *.cu input files into portions that are
sent to the CUDA compiler, and portions that are sent to gcc. I
suspect the gcc/host computing side can be whatever is legal for gcc.
All I need, as best I understand it today, is to call nvcc instead of
gcc.

If I can find a simple C++ Hello World program that actually uses
classes or whatever makes C++ C++ then I'll see how it works. It's
pretty easy to drop in a few CUDA commands and see if i works.

Thanks for the info. Looks interesting.

Cheers,
Mark