On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com> wrote:
> On 02/13/2011 11:04 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
<SNIP>

>> 4) Assuming I do get this working, while testing can i have the
>> program email me every 60 minutes whether things are good or bad, just
>> to test that it's actually working and getting results?
>
> I don't think you can get it to mail you when it's happy, but you can
> simulate a failure:
>
>  http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.3

Thanks for the info Micheal.

I got mailx to send successfully to my GMail account using this page:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Gmail_and_sSMTP

I'll read through the links you posted to look at creating a test
case. From the page you posted above I'm trying this at the command
line:

mdadm --monitor --mail=markkne...@gmail.com --delay=1800 /dev/md126

but I assume you think it won't do anything unless there's a problem
found. Do those options properly belong in /etc/conf.d/mdadm.conf as
the file itself seems to indicate?

mark@c2stable ~ $ cat /etc/conf.d/mdadm
# /etc/conf.d/mdadm: config file for /etc/init.d/mdadm

# Misc options to pass to mdadm in monitor mode.
# For more info, run `mdadm --monitor --help` or see
# the mdadm(8) manpage.

MDADM_OPTS="--syslog"
mark@c2stable ~ $

Also, I have many RAIDs. Do they all get appended to the same monitor
command, or when started as a daemon does mdadm --monitor actually
monitor all RAIDs? (If you know...)

Thanks!

Cheers,
Mark