On 02/13/2011 01:37 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:

> I'll read through the links you posted to look at creating a test
> case. From the page you posted above I'm trying this at the command
> line:
>
> mdadm --monitor --mail=markkne...@gmail.com --delay=1800 /dev/md126
>
> but I assume you think it won't do anything unless there's a problem
> found. Do those options properly belong in /etc/conf.d/mdadm.conf as
> the file itself seems to indicate?

I usually only define the MAILADDR in mdadm.conf. Everything else is
automagic. If you really need to mess with the delay, though, it would
go in /etc/conf.d/mdadm (you probably don't):

  --delay
     Give a delay in seconds.  mdadm polls the md arrays and then waits
     this many seconds before polling again. The  default  is  60
     seconds. Since 2.6.16, there is no need to reduce this as the
     kernel alerts mdadm immediately when there is any change.

> mark@c2stable ~ $ cat /etc/conf.d/mdadm
> # /etc/conf.d/mdadm: config file for /etc/init.d/mdadm
>
> # Misc options to pass to mdadm in monitor mode.
> # For more info, run `mdadm --monitor --help` or see
> # the mdadm(8) manpage.
>
> MDADM_OPTS="--syslog"
> mark@c2stable ~ $
>
> Also, I have many RAIDs. Do they all get appended to the same monitor
> command, or when started as a daemon does mdadm --monitor actually
> monitor all RAIDs? (If you know...)

If you run mdadm yourself, I think you need to either specify --scan or
enumerate the md devices yourself. The gentoo init script passes --scan
for you, though, so mdadm will figure out what md devices you have all
by itself.