On 02/19/2011 10:41 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Nikos Chantziaras<rea...@arcor.de>  wrote:
On 02/19/2011 10:14 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
<SNIP>
Should I be enabling udev globally in make.conf? I'm currently not. I
do have it on xorg-server so I'm not seeing the OP's issue, but I
never wanted to get into making my own udev rules.

I can only comment on what individual packages do with the udev flag.  I
can't possibly know what each and every package in portage does when udev is
enabled globally :-/

Of course. At the time I really meant the question to ask what people are doing.

On my machines currently the only package with a udev flag is
xorg-server so it's easy.

If you don't have udev in make.conf, you can usually do:

  USE="udev" emerge -pDN world

and see which packages that have a currently disabled "udev" USE flag this triggers. You can then investigate each package to see what it does with udev. Of course this works for all USE flags. The reverse also works (USE="-udev").

Or, simply pay attention whenever you emerge something or update world, and examine the USE flags of the packages :-) Unfortunately though, many ebuild maintainers don't document their USE flags, so in those cases you can't tell what a package does with a USE flag without looking at the documentation for that package. Imagine the "python" USE flag for example. It's impossible to tell what it does most of the time. There are many other such examples.

Also note that sometimes "udev" is enabled by default (in the ebuild itself) for some packages; this is mostly done when this is recommended by upstream or simply works better with it.