On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 09:57:00AM -0600, Dale wrote

  I tried a pretend emerge of khelpcenter.  I had to unmask dbus and
allow a bunch of use flags before it would run.  Here's what I ended up
with...

USE="accessibility kde dbus qt3support ssl handbook exceptions" emerge -pv
khelpcenter

...which would've downloaded 33 packages totalling 220 megabytes.  That
looks like it could be the culprit.  I suggest cp /var/lib/portage/world
to your user directory, and go over it with a fine-tooth comb, and ask
yourself why you want each of those packages.  If you want to see what
each package's dependancies are, execute...

emerge -pv --depclean > x.txt

...and then open up x.txt with an editor/viewer.  Packages listed as
pulled in by "@selected" are in world.  I have a script which will
generate a list of packages that can be unmerged relatively safely.

  You have one heckuva lot of USE flags.  I start my USE with "-*" and
add stuff as required.  Often, I only add it to package.use.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>