James wrote:
Dale<rdalek1967<at>  gmail.com>  writes:

Besides gcc, what is a good list
of critical software to use guickpkg
as to keep backup binaries?

FEATURES="buildpkg sandbox fixpackages parallel-fetch --keep-going"
I saw this (FEATURES="buildpkg") googling around.

1. What is a good list of software to use buildpkg on?

2. Once you decide those packages, where do you put
the list?

Surely I do not wish to use buildpkg on every installed
package, a few or maybe the entire @system. I have not
found the answer to [1] or [2].

This is muddy, because supposedly the "profile"
is suppose to protect the key packages for --depclean ?
[2]   default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop   *

So is gcc protected somehow by the "profile"?
I think not......

Still googling but not find any clear answers,
mostly cruft from years ago....

James

Short version, man make.conf for more info. buildpkg, keeps a binary of EVERYTHING installed. Now buildsyspkg only keeps binaries for system packages. If you have plenty of disk space, I would use buildpkg. If you have a lappy or are short of disk space, then buildpkg would work. Just keep in mind that some packages may not get saved. After thinking about this, I'm pretty sure I lost python once and buildsyspkg didn't keep a binary copy around. Just try to emerge something without python installed. :-(

There is no list for you to keep.  Portage does that.

That help?

Dale

:-)  :-)