On 03/03/2011 10:25 PM, daid kahl wrote:
>> I want to use LXDE as a Desktop on a fresh install of Gentoo on a laptop
>> (amd64).  It seems to work, but when I logout it hangs.  It never
>> returns to the command prompt and the keyboard doesn't work so I can
>> switch to an alternate terminal.
>
> Strange.  Never used LXDE, but KDE and Xfce I never had such a problem
> with startx.  Anyway, if you're serious about using it, probably
> you'll want xdm and likely slim (since you're running something
> lightweight).  Yeah, I ran "startx" for two years because I'm that
> lazy, but anyway, it's a good idea.
>
>>From XDM you can get a terminal if you want.  This is only at best a
> work around (or indication of deeper problems), but you may try it.
>
> Just make sure you edit slim.conf for your login_cmd since for zsh you
> get a little wrecked if you don't...
>
> Cheers,
> daid

After installing xfce4 I found out this problem is not an lxde problem
it seems to be a desktop environment or windows manager problem.  When I
click the logout button in xfce4 it hangs also, it never brings me back
to the command prompt.  The only thing I can do is Alt-SysReq-EISUB
which works really well and suggested in an earlier thread.

I installed xdm and slim, but strange things happen with that.  When I
run /etc/xinit.d/xdm start the slim login appears, but the right half of
my keyboard doesn't work right.  For example when I press the "k" key a
"2" is printed.  Very strange.

dhk