Mick wrote:
On Sunday 06 March 2011 09:28:39 Dale wrote:
Mick wrote:
On Saturday 26 February 2011 21:53:52 walt wrote:
There is a very recent post from someone (Walter?) that says he got
audio only after compiling all the kernel sound features as modules,
but he has no idea why (nor do I) but, as no one yet has a better idea,
I'd try it as an experiment.
Because alsaconf needs to probe one module at a time and set its
parameters.
Just to confuse things more, I have the same driver for my sound and I
build everything into my kernel and always have.  The sound worked as
soon as I unmuted it.

root@fireball / # cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep REALTEK
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK=y
root@fireball / #

Weird huh?
Like you, I used to build the lot into the kernel for years and it worked
fine.  Suddenly it stopped.  With no other discernible changes at the time to
blame for this I raised a bug.  The devs recommended that I should build alsa
as modules and that fixed the problem.  I haven't yet tried to go back to
building it all in the kernel to see if it would still work.

That makes it even more weird then. I update at least on each number upgrade, 35, 36, 37 etc. I don't think I have ever missed a version. I never had sound problems like this. Right now, I'm on this kernel:

root@fireball / # uname -r
2.6.37-gentoo-r1
root@fireball / #

I have to say tho, sound is one of those things that gets weird. Being muted is a big thing people miss but it seems sound comes up pretty often, about like video issues with drivers. It just makes me wonder. I use the same chip, no problems. You have ran into problems in the past and changing to modules fixed it. I have never used modules for sound or anything else. What a head scratcher. :/

Just plain weird.

Dale

:-)  :-)