you can use 'lspci' in shell to know something about your sound card,then
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml      has a guide about how to set
your hardware and kernel,the information used to make sure the model of your
sound card is porvided in 'lspci',look it up clearly
if you don't know how to update the kernel,see
herehttp://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml
My English is not very good, i wish that you can understand