On 03/15/2011 08:42 AM, dhk wrote:
> On 03/07/2011 11:15 AM, Mick wrote:
>> On 7 March 2011 12:41, dhk <dhk...@optonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Here's an update.  Yesterday morning I recompiled the kernel, but I took
>>> most everything out that didn't look like one of the three audio cards
>>> I've been trying to get working.  I rebooted and tested the audio with
>>> the new kernel and it didn't work.  Then I rebooted again before I went
>>> out for the day, the machine ran all day and all night without any
>>> activity before I logged in this morning.  Now I have audio again.  Now
>>> I think I have to pay attention as to whether audio begins working after
>>> a period of computer uptime.  Does this sound plausible?
>>
>> I wouldn't think so.  /etc/init.d/alsasound should run at default
>> level, load modules and restore settings.  Assuming that you have run
>> the alsaconf command to unmute your channels, then you should have
>> sound straight off the peg.
>>
>> However, I have an old laptop which always starts with the Master
>> volume control muted.  I have to press the special sound control
>> buttons on the keyboard to unmute sound every time I reboot.  I guess
>> this is a hardware quirk of this MoBo and it is the only PC that I
>> have come across something like this.
>

> Here's an update.  The sound comes and goes.  I've been leaving the
> sound on all the time now and not just when I need it.  I test it
> frequently just to see if it works.  I haven't found any pattern other
> than when I do a reboot or shutdown when the box powers up again
> sometimes I have the audio and sometimes I don't.  However, even when
> there's no audio it looks like the modules load and alsasound starts.

Another update.  It seem all I need to do to get sound back is run
alsaconf (take all the defaults) and reboot.  I'm not sure why it stops
working after two or three reboots, but if I run alsaconf again and
reboot it's back.  It never works right after alsaconf, it always needs
a reboot.  It would be nice if the sound state didn't get lost, but at
least I can get it back.  I'd also wouldn't mind knowing why it happens.

Thanks,
dhk