Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
On 05/11/2011 03:33 PM, Dale wrote:
Marius Vaitiekunas wrote:
Hi,

Maybe, a little OT.
Could anybody tell me, how to make gentoo baselayout-2 system to be
completely unicode utf-8? Which config files I should modify?
Thank You!

This is how I did mine.

root@fireball / # cat /etc/make.conf | grep utf
LC_ALL="en_US.utf8"
root@fireball / #

I think that is all I did.

Two issues. First, LC_ALL does not belong in make.conf. It belongs in /etc/env.d/02locale. Second, "en_US.utf8" is not correct. It's "en_US.UTF-8". :-)

Funny that it seems to work.  I don't have that file:

root@fireball / # cat /etc/env.d/02locale
cat: /etc/env.d/02locale: No such file or directory
root@fireball / #

But I do have this one:

root@fireball / # cat /etc/locale.gen
# /etc/locale.gen: list all of the locales you want to have on your system
#
# The format of each line:
# <locale> <charmap>
#
# Where <locale> is a locale located in /usr/share/i18n/locales/ and
# where <charmap> is a charmap located in /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/.
#
# All blank lines and lines starting with # are ignored.
#
# For the default list of supported combinations, see the file:
# /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED
#
# Whenever glibc is emerged, the locales listed here will be automatically
# rebuilt for you. After updating this file, you can simply run `locale-gen`
# yourself instead of re-emerging glibc.

en_US ISO-8859-1
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
#ja_JP.EUC-JP EUC-JP
#ja_JP.UTF-8 UTF-8
#ja_JP EUC-JP
#en_HK ISO-8859-1
#en_PH ISO-8859-1
#de_DE ISO-8859-1
#de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15
#es_MX ISO-8859-1
#fa_IR UTF-8
#fr_FR ISO-8859-1
#fr_FR@euro ISO-8859-15
#it_IT ISO-8859-1
root@fireball / #

I followed a guide when I did mine which is why I don't recall most of it. On this rig, it wasn't to long ago. My old rig has even older config files. That install is about 6 pr 7 years old if I recall correctly.

Dale

:-)  :-)